Our curriculum at TCM is based on a measured combination of the British National Curriculum for Key Stages 1 & 2 and the Montessori Method is applied for the Preschool and Early years.
Our rigorous, well planned curriculum combined with high quality teaching ensures that children are supported to be well rounded, empathetic young people who have a genuine thirst for learning. Children develop a strong sense of moral purpose in addition to a respect for and understanding of people.
The curriculum is the totality of all the planned activities that we as a school organise in order to promote learning, personal growth and development. It includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the range of extra-curricular activities that the school organises in order to enrich the experiences of our children. It also includes the ‘hidden curriculum’, or what the children learn from the way they are treated and expected to behave. We aim to teach children how to grow into positive, responsible people, who can work and co-operate with others, whilst developing knowledge, skills and attitudes to learning, in order for them to achieve their true potential.
The underpinning values for our curriculum are:
- Excellent education in a safe, calm, creative, inclusive and stimulating environment.
- The individuality and uniqueness of each child
- To nurture well rounded, respectful and confident children who will develop skills for life-long learning.
- To encourage our children to be creative, unique, open-minded and independent individuals with self-respect, and respect for others.
- To ensure that the fundamental societal values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of our school.
- To acknowledge and promote diversity, respecting the views and cultures of others.
- To value the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth.
- To promote co-operation and understanding between all members of our community
- To teach respect for our world, and how we should care for it for future generations, as well as our own.
TCM aims to offer a balanced and broad based curriculum which enables all pupils to:
- Enjoy learning
- Feel successful in their learning and to promote high self esteem
- Become creative, independent learners
- Be given significant time to learn new skills and practice those skills
- Set personal targets and also work with the class target
- Know what their strengths are and which areas they need to develop
- Become successful lifelong learners who are able to reach their full potential
- Be able to evaluate and assess their own learning
- Develop their critical thinking
- Understand and value the importance of truth, fairness, right and wrong
- Nurture positive relationships promoting working co-operatively with one another
- Explore their spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development.
- Makes learning more meaningful by putting it into context
- Challenge themselves and engage themselves in deeper learning